Preparation for Upper Endoscopy (EGD)
- Do not eat solid food after midnight the night before an examination. You may, however, have clear liquids up to 8 hours before the scheduled time of your endoscopy.
- You will need to take your usual medications with a sip of water up until 4 hours before the test.
- You will need someone to drive you home.
- The medication you will receive will make you too sleepy to drive or work the day of your examination. You will be ready to go home about 3-1/2 hours after arriving. Your ride does not have to wait for you; the nurses can call your ride to pick you up when you are ready.
- You may NOT take public transportation (cab, bus, etc.)
- If you take Coumadin or Ticlid you usually need to stop 5 days before the test.
- If you have an abnormal heart valve, please call the office.
- Please contact your insurance company and/or primary care physician to obtain pre-certification or an authorization form.
Pre-op Instructions-Upper Endoscopy
- Twenty-four hours before your surgery, begin a clear liquid diet (coffee, tea, broth, soft drinks and Jello).
- The afternoon before your surgery or procedure, take 2 oz. of Milk of Magnesia.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery or procedure.